Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Parenting a 100 year old

Parenting is not for the weak I tell you!

Yesterday was the hundreds day of school and I was so excited that the kindergartners would be dressing up like they were 100 years old.  Ayden was not nearly as impressed as I wanted him to be, but he did humor me when I practiced his make up and attempted to size his bow tie and suspenders for the day of.

So picture this, I have him in khaki pants and a button down white shirt.  He has on a black bow tie and suspenders.  I went ahead and painted his eyebrows grey with face paint, and gave him glasses to complete his outfit.  He liked it for the most part, all but the suspenders, but he was pretty cool with the idea.

Of course as a mom I have to take things to the next level and I found the baby powder and really thought that making his hair grey would just be fabulous.  I added the baby powder and it seriously completed his 100 year old look.  That is when the tears happened.  Like full blown sobbing and I didn't quite understand.  I got him under control, snapped a few pictures because you have to document everything cute your kid does, and started to talk with him.  First he just kept telling me the powder smelled.  Then he cried more telling me he just couldn't go to school looking like that.  Because it was literally five minutes before leaving I made him keep the powder in his hair, but what he did in the car just broke my heart.

As we were driving to school Ayden decided to really tell me what was wrong.  It wasn't the baby powder or the suspenders, it was what was going to happen at school.  His biggest fear through this fun activity was being made fun of.  And although many of his classmates would be dressed up as well, he was afraid that in the lunchroom or on the playground someone was going to laugh at him.  My heart literally broke and I simply told him that it was not okay if someone did that, but if they did it was probably because they felt poorly about them self if they poked fun at a kindergartner.  But seriously this was suppose to be a fun activity and the kid is only five and he is already worried about what others are going to think.

So I was that mom, watching my son get out of the car, not making eye contact with anyone, grabbing after his sisters hand so that he could be guided at the door not looking anyone in the eye. It was so evident he wanted to be invisible and not be noticed and get into his classroom.  And you can probably guess I had tears streaming down my face as I drove home because I forced my kid to do something I am not sure as an adult I would be brave enough to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment