Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Bump in the Night

As a mom I never think I sleep soundly.  I feel I am constantly listening for noises from the kids in the night to make sure everything is okay.  The funny thing is Tyler never hears any noises, unless it is equivalent to a sonic boom, and I am constantly awoken by random cries in the middle of the night.  I am sure there are many of you who are out there who can relate to that one pathetic whimper cry that gets you to sit up in bed to investigate further, to just find out it is your son or daughter just making noise and then the dreadful not being able to fall asleep sets in.  I swear this happens to me at least twice a week.  Well played Ayden…well played.

Last night Ayden went to sleep very easily, which should have been my sign that something was going to happen last night, but I just embraced the fact he went down peacefully.  He has figured out that he will not be able to escape anymore, so he has learned to find things in his room to do to entertain himself, and last night he sure did keep himself busy.  I was woke up by some loud noises at about 3 a.m., and when I looked at the baby monitor I couldn't see him.  I heard him collecting up his cars that were on his dresser and driving them around.  He then decided these cars needed to take a test drive on the humidifier, and then their final destination was his bed.  Now I am sure he was up longer than what I saw because he can be pretty stealthy when he wants too, but he proceeded to lay in his bed with all his cars and was having a hard time getting comfortable…go figure.

I think it took about a half hour of tossing and turning, kicking the wall, and driving cars, he finally fell back to sleep, but it put my 5 a.m. workout on hold as I couldn't not get up after my hour of entertainment.  As I look at the baby monitor now, he lays peaceful in his bed and will probably sleep as long as he possibly can because I have to take Audrey to preschool today and that is just how Ayden does things.

It is interesting how bumps in the night are still scary for me as an adult, but it is a different kind of scary…it's the fear of my children doing something insane or crazy while I attempt to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment