Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Academics verse Empathy


About two weeks ago we were able to get the kids report cards online.  Seriously this is a hard concept for me because I just loved having that paper report card to share with my parents.  Something about bringing home a piece of paper with my accomplishments in a manila folder was heavenly.  I know I was probably one of the few that enjoyed this and I know we are trying to create less paper by viewing these report cards online, but I still print them off at home.

Okay, back to my kids and their report cards.  See I could not be any happier with their progress since the beginning of the year.  They are obviously learning and excelling in areas of their interests.  According to Ayden he really likes specials and math, the rest is boring.  Audrey she loves everything academic and the arts. She just doesn't feel PE because they have to run.  If you have met Audrey she can be a lovely child, but she lacks the whole effort gene.  See she doesn't like to work hard for things...dear sweet child just wait until third grade when the challenges really come your way.

Now onto the comment section of their report cards.  Audrey has the brown nosing thing down to a "t".  I mean seriously how can the child that comes home with sass and attitude be that great in school?  In all reality I love that she is respectful and on task for her teachers, but I would like her to provide this behavior for me every once and awhile.  (Sorry Audrey, but it is the truth.)  With dear sweet Ayden, it is very evident that he is feeling a little more comfortable in kindergarten because his comments were all great, but we need to work in one specific area...anyone have a guess?  His weakness is staying on task and taking his time.  I know this is a boy thing, but this kid is like a squirrel some days.  I get to volunteer in his class and I see it.  He is easily distracted if it is not something he is really feeling at that moment, and he just wants to get through the activity and doesn't always do his best.

Both kids are works in progress and will continue to have their strengths and weaknesses, but this morning I was sent a quote from a dear sweet friend and it hit close to home.  I have said this many times that it doesn't matter what my kids want to be when they grow up.  I mean currently Ayden wants to be a professional scuba diver and Audrey wants to be a teacher or a dance instructor (it changes all the time).  All I want for my kids is to be able to walk away with understanding the concept of empathy.  I don't care if they are the best at something in terms of their academics or sports, but I do want them to do what is right and to be kind.  This is a hard thing to do as a parent to focus on the big picture of wanting to raise empathetic human beings because we want them to be successful in all areas, but honestly is being the smartest kid going to make the world a better place?  Okay yes they may find a cure for a disease, but you get my point.  But I can honestly say that if I teach my kids to be kind to everyone, even if it makes them stand out as being strange, I feel that they will be making the world a better place one good deed at a time.

I leave you with the quote below, and my vulnerability that I am continuously failing at this parenting thing.  I mean if there was a manual we would all be doing such a great job.  However that is not how life works, so I dare you to join me in focusing on the empathy and kindness of your children verse the other strengths in their lives and build a loving and kind future through our little humans.





No comments:

Post a Comment