Thursday, February 1, 2018

Little Things

I really struggle with seeing the little things.  I truly do not take time in seeing the small masterpieces that are in our world, and only seeing what is in front of me that needs to be done.  This past seven days have been a little stressful in the Evans house as Tyler has been working the base exercise.  The kids really miss their dad and lets face it, I miss the help.

So this weekend, when absolute chaos was crashing around me and I was hustling us from one point to another I really had to step back and take a lesson from my daughter.  See Audrey has become pretty good at seeing the little things.  The simple pleasures in life that bring a smile to her face with a simple discovery.  Seriously people if only I could be like my daughter maybe I could get a wrangle on this anxiety issue!

It was at breakfast time and of course I became the short order cook, and both kids decided fruit was on the menu as well.  I washed a bunch of blueberries and gave them both a small bowl.  I was cleaning up dishes and really keeping an eye on the time because I do believe it was Sunday when we needed to leave the house by 9.  Audrey was literally screaming my name with hints of excitement and I began rolling my eyes because why must she be so loud.  Like I am only a few feet away from her and the water running wasn't that loud.  Plus she was eating blueberries, unless she was choking, which she wasn't, what could be so exciting?!?

For some bizarre reason my kids take their blueberries out of the bowls and organize them into categories of size.  The bigger ones are called big daddies and are the highest on the blueberry role of royalty, and of course the smaller ones are babies.  I am not sure where this even came from, but they do this and it drives me crazy because they never wipe up the water from the blueberries.  They also leave them in piles and eat them slowly, which is a blessing so they don't choke, but they also get up and go to the bathroom, in which then the naughty felines we have decide to climb up on a chair and bat those groups around sending even more chaos into my world.

Now that you have a complete visual of blueberry eating in my house, I will get to the point.  See Audrey was obviously excited about her discover as the was screaming my name.  I walked over to see what all the excitement was about and I discovered she had found a hear shaped big daddy as she called it.  I mean seriously it was a blueberry shaped like a heart and she couldn't have been more excited.  I am not sure if it was a situation where she was happy if she just found a cool shaped blueberry or if it was just because it was something she never seen before, regardless this made her day and literally set the tone for her entire day.  She even told me later on that afternoon that the heart was the most exciting part of her day.

Which makes me wonder...do I take time and find the little things in my life that make my day better?  It is so hard to stop and enjoy the little things as there is so much to do, but I bet if I took a lesson from Audrey, maybe I could come to just appreciate the little things and find further joy in each day.  So today as I am finishing up my to do list, I am going to embrace the little things that come across my eyes, and I challenge you to do so today as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment