Monday, January 5, 2015

Accident #2

Oh my sweet Audrey!  I do feel I have failed her as a mom as we took our second trip to the ER in the month of December.  I know accidents happen and I cannot protect my children from everything, but oh the mommy guilt.

It all started on New Year's Eve.  We had already had a great day.  I had went to work out, the kids had a blast at childcare, and we had just finished up lunch.  The kids were playing in the living room and I was sitting on the couch.  Audrey began getting out blankets and I had asked her to put them back, but she decided to continue with her plan.  I was at that point of picking my battles, and had asked her again to put them away, but she continued to ignore me.  She was at a point of freezing her brother's castle and she slipped on one of the blankets that was acting as a cape.  It was one of those moments that I cannot bare to replay in my mind because the scream that followed was a scream of pain.  She had slipped on her cape, her legs went out from under her and she fell hard.

Of course I ran over to her to check things out, and I was frustrated.  Not at her, but at the fact that I had just said to not get out the blankets and she got hurt.  Frustrated that it seems that the kids feel that I am just nagging verse trying to protect them when I ask them not do something.  She told me her arm hurt and I attempted to compare her arms to one another and it didn't appear to be any problems.  However when I had her try to get up using her right arm, the scream that followed proved something wasn't right.

I got her on the couch, and then called to try and get her an appointment at the clinic.  Of course they had one appointment that was ten minutes from the time it was.  That wasn't going to happen, so I decided I needed to probably take her to the ER.  I told her that we were going to go to the ER and she was sobbing.  In all this chaos, I managed to back a bag for the ER to keep Ayden entertained, sent Tyler an email of the dilemma because I couldn't find his new phone number, and made sure everyone was dressed.

I seriously contemplated going to a different ER verse the hospital right by our house because I was afraid they were going to call social services on me.  I mean two ER visits in a matter of three weeks, I am not sure what they look for to call for that, but to me that would be a red flag.

We got Audrey situated in a room, in which she was wheeled to in a wheelchair because she told the nurse it hurt to walk.  Really, this kid can get what she wants with more people than I know.  Once in the room, it was amazing how quick Tyler showed up.  I probably should have given him more details because he had the panic look.  After X-Rays, and her telling everyone she doesn't bath often, we were given the news of the fractured wrist in two places.  They splinted her arm and gave her a sling, and we were to go to a doctor at Children's Hospital on Friday to get the arm casted.

I could go on to explain the casting experience, which involved tears on my part, but I will spare you all the details.  However, she is now sporting her pink cast with pride.  She is a little sad that she won't be able to play basketball, but we are going to continue with dance with a few restrictions.  Her arm will be re-evaluated on January 29th, shorter than we had anticipated.

With this entire episode, I have attempted to look at the positives.  One being at least it wasn't in the summer where she would miss out on swimming.  The break did not affect the growth plates, so super bonus.  I can continue to look at the positives, but Audrey is the one who just radiates positive energy.  The kid has had all these challenges, but she just keeps smiling.  She continues her happy life, enjoys her brother (to a certain extent), and is determined to write with her left hand.  I wish I could always have the positive attitude my little girl has.  She is a true inspiration to me, and I have to remember that even though I feel I failed as a mom to protect her, the events that have happened to her are truly, simple accidents.



No comments:

Post a Comment