Friday, January 30, 2015

Audrey Update

Well friends about four weeks ago, sweet Audrey fractured her wrist in two places and yesterday we went in for our evaluation.  This whole process is new to both Tyler and I since neither of us have broken bones.  I knew the cast would need to be sawed off, and that an x-ray would have to occur, and I tried my best to mentally prepare Audrey but no matter how much we talked about it she was petrified.

I tried to explain to the gal who was going to remove the cast that Audrey needed to be walked through the process before actually going through the process.  I know she has sawed off a million casts, but gee whiz lady could you pacify the kid who already had tears in her eyes.  She brought out the saw said it won't hurt and I am going to cut on both sides.  Then she said mom will hold your hand on the other side and then fired up the saw.  Guess what?  Audrey lost her ever loving mind and literally began screaming bloody murder.  I had to hold both her arms and the lady sawed as quickly as she could, but I am sure the screaming set the entire office and herself into a panic frenzy.  Then of course once the saw was off the ginormous scissors were busted out and the screaming and crying began again.  And of course while all this is going on I had Ayden who was watching the process on his belly on the bench seat like it was an intense reality show.

After the cast was removed, Audrey was really looking at her arm, like smelling it and checking out the nastiness on the cast.  I am not sure why she was doing all this, but I wasn't questioning it because she wasn't screaming.  She goes for her x-ray and comes back to the room as if this was all super easy stuff and she owns the place.  We then proceed to wait for about thirty minutes for the doctor to review her x-ray and come and tell us the next steps.

The verdict was that her wrist is healing well, but it is not completely healed.  I figured we would get another cast because honestly that would make me feel better because then the wrist would be protected.  However it was decided to go with a splint so that she could bath easier and actually start some muscle work again with the arm.  I mean he is the professional and knows what he's doing, so I really didn't get a say.  Therefore, splint for another three weeks and he didn't want to see us for another nine months.  I am a little confused as I would think he would want to make sure it is completely healed before he sends us on our merry way, but once again not a doctor here.

We will stay off our tap shoes for another week and I will happily clean that poor arm that is flaking skin badly.  I will be constantly on her because now that the arm isn't completely immobile.  She is trying to do so much already with that splint on.  Looks like I will really need to work on my positive parenting language and not nag the poor kid to death.  I will continue to watch her with watchful eyes, but we all know that sometimes that doesn't prevent the accidents in the Evans house.


No comments:

Post a Comment