Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Making Shampoo



As many of you are well aware, as I have gotten older, things have just gone crazy with my body.  My struggles with acne as a grown adult is just too much, but recently my head is giving me just as much trouble, and no friends it is not the voices in my head I am talking about.

My scalp is molting.  Like chunks of my scalp are falling off.  I know gross right?  I tried putting coconut oil on my scalp and washing it off in the shower and that didn't really help.  I then thought I would try making my own shampoo since this shampoo recipe actually had a lot of components that naturally get rid of dandruff.  The recipe for Rosemary Mint Shampoo is as follows:

  • 10 drops of Peppermint Oil
  • 20 drops of Rosemary Oil
  • 10 tbsp of baking soda
  • 3 tbsp of olive oil
  • 6 oz of Aloe Vera
Now I used this shampoo the first day and was happy with the results.  My hair did not feel heavy and it actually felt clean.  It was a little different than real shampoo as it was more "liquid" than the gel structure that most shampoos have.  On day two I decided I was going to continue with my new homemade shampoo and it seemed to go from good to bad real quickly.  I knew when I was rinsing my hair, I was not getting that squeaky clean feeling, but I got out of the shower anyway and dried my hair.  Holy grease ball is all I have to say.  My hair was disgusting.  It was greasy but soft at the same time, is that even possible?  And the molting and dandruff that was happening to my scalp was absolutely embarrassing.  

On day three I decided to add tea tree oil to my regular shampoo, as well as my homemade shampoo. I had to stick to the homemade shampoo, so I washed my hair and it was even greasier.  I broke down and used a pea size of regular shampoo and scrubbed the heck out of my scalp and oh the suds.  I had so many bubbles in my hair it was insane.  I went ahead and rinsed for at least ten minutes because we have a water softener and it takes forever to get soap out of your hair.  But the amazing thing was I could feel my hair was clean.  I allowed for my hair to air dry and the volume that I got and the softness of my hair was amazing.  Now I am not sure what happened in this hair catastrophe, but I do know my hair was feeling fabulous and my scalp had definitely calmed down.  

I will continue to work with this homemade shampoo, and I am sure it will have a few more adventures as well and I am sure I will share.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment