Monday, February 24, 2014

This illness lasts FOR -EV-ER!!!

Okay so I know kids get sick, but I am ready for this all to be over.  We are now onto the cold stage.  The disgusting, croupy sounding cough that involves a ton of snot to creep out of the nose.  I know I apologize for the visual, but it has been my life for the past twelve days!  Audrey appears to be on the mend, but Ayden still has that horrible cough and is draining from his nose like a faucet.  We have been fever free for about three days, so I did take the kids out for a small period of time the other day, and if only you could have seen the looks I got from people when Ayden coughed.  It sounds horrible, but he is seriously okay.

Crazy mom here decided I better take both of the kids into the doctor and he basically laughed at me for hauling in two kids for a cold.  How was I to know it was just a virus?  Seriously, the nurse chewed me out for waiting to long, and the doctor laughed at me for being overly cautious.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't right!

Now onto the craziness of how I am feeling.  I have been locked up in this house for what seems like years.  I just want the kids to go play, burn off some steam, but I am trying to be kind and not expose everyone to our cold.  However, we are at that point where I know it is almost over, but when is it acceptable to take your kiddos out with a cold?  I know many don't think about this too often, but for my sanity I need out, but I don't wish this virus upon anyone.  Doctor was not concerned about me keeping the kids at home, in fact I did not even get the make sure they are getting rest speech.  He just gave me the you can give them Tylenol if you want for the fever and honey for the cough, but no lecture on liquids and rest, which I am doing.

So am I just making it out that my kids are worse than they really are?  I truly want to be considerate of others, but even if the doctor feels they are fine, I guess they are, right?

Audrey will go to her physical therapy appointment and Ayden will have to tag along because we do not have any other choice.  However Audrey really wants to go to painting at the library afterwards and even though she is seriously over the illness, what do I do with Ayden?  I think I am going to try and take both to the library, but allow Audrey to paint and read with Ayden so he is not around everyone.  Although that may be easier said than done because well it is Ayden and he loves to paint, and it's with waffles this week, so since it involves food and painting, it will be so hard to keep him out of the activity.

I think the hardest part of having a sick kid is that you feel completely helpless.  There is only so much you can do and then it just needs to run its course.  The waiting part kills me though.  I need out of this house...the walls are beginning to close in on me!

So mommas out there...how long do you wait before taking your kid out and about with a cold or sickness?  Am I being crazy and over thinking all this?

No comments:

Post a Comment