Monday, February 2, 2015

Mommy I Want You

Okay so I have to admit that I love bedtime for two reasons.  Number one, Ino longer have to be responsible for two little humans that are driving me insane, and number two, I can sit on my butt and do nothing if I want and not feel bad about it.  Bed time is the beginning of mommy time and I love it.

Ayden is great about getting into his bed and going to sleep, but Audrey pushes the envelope and really tries to stay up as late as possible and see what mom and dad do when she goes to bed.  Which basically is not too exciting except we do watch an occasional show, which for some reason has an appeal to her, but that is neither here nor there.  I get annoyed with Audrey when she does not go to bed right away.  Annoyed because how dare she infringe on my mommy time!  Yes, I just wrote that and after reading this article, Mommy Will You Lay With Me I am disappointed in myself.

I really love my children, but sometimes I just need a break, but I am really trying to work on laying with Audrey more because she needs that extra time.  Most the time, we both grab our books and we just lay together and read to ourselves.  However last night I had a mommy moment that made that lay down time worth it, even though I had a bunch of things to do.  Audrey has been into listening and reading the Bible.  I asked her if she wanted to pick out a place in the Bible to read, and she eagerly did so and asked me to begin reading.  We read a story in Acts about King Herod, and it ended where King Herod had been cursed with a disease and was eaten by worms.  Yeah I read it and then realized I should have censored, however I focused on a different part and we discussed it and she had forgotten about the dying and worms...thank goodness!

At this point I decided maybe I should leave the reading to her.  She found her Bernstein Bear Bible and read me the Creation story.  She most definitely was not reading the words, but she had the story memorized and she was giving her best effort to retell that story.  At this point I couldn't help but begin to drift off to sleep.  I don't think I was sleeping too long because I was awoken to a blanket being taken off me and a whisper of sorry.  During some part of Audrey's reading, I had truly drifted off to sleep and she covered me up with her blanket, however she must have become cold and needed her blanket because she was grabbing it back.  It was then I realized that I was given some moments I would have never experienced if I didn't take the time to lay down with Audrey.  I needed this because all during the day I was completely overwhelmed with the kids behaviors and really thought they were out to just drive me insane.  (I know that sound irrational, but I was having one of those days!)

Take time to read the article mentioned above and take time to let those chores be and lay down with those babies because the time slips away quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment