Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Be Still

Recently the words "Be Still" have come across my eyes and ears multiple times the past week.  Now I know the importance of being still and taking in my world around and being grateful for all I have been given, however here is that 20 million dollar question, how in the world am I suppose to be still with small children?  I try being still and reflecting in the five minutes before my crazy world begins or even after the kids are in bed, but I find that is just not enough sometimes.  I was beginning to realize that was the only "be still" moments I was going to be given, so I was trying to put a positive spin on it and show my appreciation.

It wasn't until Thursday night of last week, that I had canceled the play date at the museum before preschool because I was going to help out in Audrey's classroom and I needed Ayden to be on his best behavior because he was going to tag along.  Which meant I was going to have a slow morning of getting everyone presentable for the day, which included baths for both kids.  I thought I was being smart on trying to take control of the chaos that could occur.  However I then made sure I had to drive immediately after preschool to pick up the groceries from the commissary, but it was going to be just fine.

See this is where I need to remember that every time I have things all worked out to the last final detail, things are not going to go as I have planned.  I had asked for help to "be still" and what did I do, everything but be still and guess what?  My plans were changed.  I woke up to Ayden yelling my name and I brought him down for breakfast.  I got him his breakfast and life was good, until Audrey was yelling at me from at the top of the stairs that it was my fault that her legs were broken because I let her sleep in.  Really?  What insanity was going on upstairs?  But the moment I made it up the stairs to help her I knew something was off.  I assumed one of her legs fell asleep, but she did feel a little warm.  After I got her downstairs that is when chaos began.  When she began to complain that she was so cold, I realized she was sick, and that is when the puking began...really?  She does pretty good at trying to make it to the bathroom, but there is always some sort of mess and of course she freaks out about that after she gets done.  So you can picture how the remainder of the day went.  It wasn't until Audrey was napping on the couch and Ayden crawled up into my lap and literally fell asleep instantly.  I finally got my "be still" time and you know what I did, absolutely nothing.  I laid on the couch, reflected on how grateful I was, and I was still with my children and loved every minute of it!

Now that I have had my "be still" time, I know now that those little moments are just as good as those  that I find at any other time of the day.  The thing is though is maybe I can "be still" with my kids.  There needs to be more sitting together on the couch with simple talking and reading, and not worry about running to our next destination.  There it is, I feel my family and I need to just be and be still.  This will not be all the time because well I have a two year old and four year old, but we definitely will be doing this more often in the Evans' household.

No comments:

Post a Comment