Friday, November 21, 2014

The Home Depot Drama

It is about time I share a great story of taking my kids out and about.  I tell you this story as I am sure there are some of you out there who have had similar experiences and I am here just to validate that you are not alone.

A week ago Tyler and I decided to go to Home Depot with the kids to finalize some things for our kitchen that we are working on to complete our cottage in Michigan.  I knew that this trip may be a little boring for the kiddos, but I figured we could do the things we needed to do as quick as possible. Seriously, what was I thinking?  It all began when we looked at flooring because we were there and I thought we could get the kids involved.  By involved I thought I would give them a couple free samples and think it would keep them happy.  However what happened was they got out of the cart and began to run up and down the aisle, and the workers all laughed as they were talking to us.  Really?  I could have not used that kind of encouragement for them.  

We then moved onto the countertops because I thought I needed to change the color.  Somehow the kids decided to check out appliances and they were running from Tyler.  I literally had to throw the kids in the back of the cart so they were contained.  It was an act of God to keep me from screaming like a crazy lady to ask them what was their issue, but then I got the fabulous FaceTime call from a cousin that literally saved the day.  I am not even sure what they talked about, but she kept them happy and engaged, and we were able to finish up what we needed to do.  We finished up our fun filled trip by picking out paint samples for the rest of the cottage and literally the kids had at least 20 paint samples that they were just randomly pulling out, but it kept them happy and I just rolled with it even though I despise bringing home extra stuff that will more than likely be thrown around the house.  

Tyler and I left the store, drained and exhausted, but our trip was successful.  And the kids, well, they had fun and still ask to go to Home Depot every other day when we are out and about or drive by the store.  I think the next time we decide to do a trip like that, Tyler and I better not take the kids or we better have FaceTime calls planned because it appears that is our only way to get things done at Home Depot.  

Overall we survived, but I forget how differently things are when we have kids.  I know our lives have changed for the better, but when we do something simple like go to the store I need to remember it will never be simple.  With a two and four year old, nothing is simple and a sure thing.  Kids are full of energy and spontaneity and they will unleashed this in a moments notice when we don't want that to happen.  

I am going to remember that they are just kids and they are having fun, however I don't always have to agree with their craziness!  

No comments:

Post a Comment