Monday, March 30, 2015

Bed Time

Bed time is very routine at our house, and Tyler and I have worked very hard to keep things consistent and calm for the kiddos bedtime routine.  Lately however I think bedtime routine has become chaos.  The kids are in their beds after stories have been read and it is taking them longer and longer each evening to fall asleep.  I am not sure if it is because we are not letting them fall asleep in our bed like we have done previously, well Audrey has not Ayden.  Or if it is simply because the kids still are crazy due to the time change?  Whatever the case may be it is exhausting and we are definitely at our whits end.

Not going to bed on time for the kiddos for some reason equals and early rise time as well.  Then it is a viscous battle of not getting enough sleep.  The kiddos then become cranky by about 6 pm, they throw epic tantrums and then they wind up by the time it is bed time.  I am not sure why this happens with the kids, but I have seen that this is a common thing.  It wouldn't be so bad if my kids still napped.  The bed time would be pushed back and the early morning would continue, but they would at least get added sleep in the day to help with that brain development.  Unfortunately that is not happening and we will continue to push through with this stage.

I do hope though that as the weather turns warmer and the kids get more fresh air than we get our routine back.  Or maybe this is just how it is.  Some parents have kiddos that still do not sleep through the night and they are school age.  I guess I would prefer my "me" time to be interrupted so that I may sleep through the night, but it is so funny to me how quickly routines can be changed.  We didn't change, but I guess the kids did.

Not only have they changed their bed time, but their behavior and ability to push the envelope is starting to arise.  They are really trying to define who they are as individuals and it is a little exhausting as we try to redirect them in the appropriate direction.  We will get through this just like we get through every other week and maybe one day we will look back upon this time and giggle at the chaos.  However right now the tears and the kid chosen bed time needs to cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment