Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Toddler Language

I was very fortunate with Audrey that she was a very good speaker when she started talking.  In fact she was so good at speaking that she decided not to walk until 20 months!  This is what I am going to keep telling myself with that one.  :)  Now with Ayden, trying to decipher some of his words has become quite the challenge for Tyler and I.  In fact, I think on multiple occasions I have had to ask Audrey what Ayden is actually saying.  Sad, I know.

However, lets get back to this toddler talking.  It is like they have their own language.  Some words are very articulate and you get what they are saying, and others you are completely scratching your head asking yourself what they could possibly be asking for.  There have been multiple times I have questioned if some of the words are cuss words because I swear sometimes it sure does sound like it.

Toddlers have their own language and in all reality their own crazy antics as well.  Like the tantrums...oh the tantrums.  As I keep thinking about this more, I really feel that my toddler is an alien.  I am living with a little human that my husband and I created, and he is so foreign I truly feel that at times he is not from this planet.  I know it sounds bad, but it is the absolute truth.  The way toddlers discover the world and deal with typical every day affairs are definitely  not how we adults think things should be done.

As for Ayden, last night he was sitting at the table with us as we were finishing dinner and he was talking about his bread.  Tyler and I swore he was asking for hair with his bread.  I glanced to make sure there was no hair on his bread, and began to scratch my head because what could he be asking for?  He kept saying this word over and over and then started to make a cutting motion.  I was then thinking maybe a little piece of bread, like a sliver or a hair?  Nope, that wasn't it.  It wasn't until a few moments later I realized he wanted this bread to be cut into squares!  Mystery solved and our life was happy.  But it seems like this is how my day goes continuously.  Not only do I have to try and guess on if I am raising these little humans correctly, but now I have to decipher a foreign language that is not available with Rosetta Stone.

More than likely if Ayden says something that you don't understand when you see him, you are better off asking Audrey because she either knows him better or things just make more sense to her because she is only 22 months older than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment