Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Being a Military Spouse

Lets be honest here...I am a military spouse, and I suck at it!  I have tried to be a good wife and mom, but when you slap the adjective military in front of wife, I think I have just failed all together.  I don't mean to be bad in this position, but I just don't fit the stereotype of a military spouse.  Wait...I really don't think I fit any stereotype, so I guess I should cut myself some slack:) 

Yes I get all crazy when I hear of the rationale and reasoning behind some of the things my husband has to do.  Lets take the flight suit for example.  There it is in its wonderful color of green and it has all these patches that are perfectly aligned and placed strategically.  All I want to do is put a patch upside down and put wrinkles on the darn thing.  I have even plotted getting up in the middle of the night to put the patches upside down, but then would feel guilty for my husband having to deal with the results of my craziness.  Already I can hear you thinking what is wrong with this girl?!  I am not sure why this even bugs me because I love order and everything in its place.  However I think it has to go with the reasoning.  I ask Tyler why and he simply says its just the way it is.  Are you kidding me?  Something as complex as the Air Force and that is the best reason!

Lets move on from the uniforms before the nervous twitch in my eye starts.

I also have found that I don't do the functions very well.  I always get nervous that I am going to say something ridiculous to jeopardize Tyler's job.  I mean I have a filter, but sometimes when I am trying to be the little military wife, the filter breaks and stuff just comes out.  I know some of you are so shocked right!  I guess I did well at the Christmas party for the kids, but that was a get together that was low key and not a lot of stress involved.  I had to tend to my children from destroying things, so that did not give me the opportunity to talk too much.

I have not participated in the officer's wives club or meet a lot of other military wives.  Maybe I should so it could help me understand military stuff or create a group that talks about all the crazy things that drive you batty about your husband's job.  Don't get me wrong I have friends that are military and know many military families, I just don't seek people out because they are military.  I guess I always thought that was being too much of a clique.  If I am friends or acquaintances with you and we share the common ground of being a military family, bonus, but I don't seek that out.  My military spouse readers, please don't judge.

So here is something interesting to ponder though.  As much as I complain about the bad job I do as a military spouse, I sure do love the benefits of being a military spouse and the security it has given our family.  I cannot complain about that one bit.  I can get crazy and not act the way I guess I should, but I do appreciate the service and the sacrifice our military provides for our country.  I am even a little sad to leave the military spouse status as my husband will transition to the civilian world.  Even though I have kicked and screamed a lot with the moving and small sacrifices we have had to make due to the military, I think I am going to miss it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment