Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Siblings are like Snowflakes

Siblings are like snowflakes!  Even though the genetics are the common link, no child is the same.


After I had Ayden, I thought this was not my first rodeo so things should be easier right?  Boy was I wrong!  My children are so different that even nursing was two completely different obstacles.  Once Audrey got the hang of it, she would nurse on both sides for twenty minutes and then she was ready for her next feeding in two hours.  This was predictable and easy to maintain in my little OCD world.  Then there was Ayden.  This kid came out knowing how to eat and he was my little on demand feeder.  Seriously I think the first three months of his life he was attached and I am not exaggerating.  When I had to explain his feeding habits to the doctor at each well baby check up they would make the comment that they did not have a drop down choice for that and would have to always put his feeding in the notes.  This should have been my first indication that Ayden would not fit any normal standards.  

Now my little story above is just one of the examples of how different Audrey and Ayden are.  Yes, I have come to realize that boys and girls are extremely different.  Especially as Audrey will spend a half hour reading books quietly and Ayden could spend a half hour running around chasing the cat with drumsticks and feel that he completed his task for the day.  Double bonus if he is able to corner the cat and take note that she does not sound as loud as the drum when she is whacked:(.

I think back to my childhood and how both my brother and I were different as well.  There are almost four years between us, and my children have 22 months between them.  I think my mom was smart by the spacing because right now I pull my hair daily as I just get through a milestone with Audrey just to begin the same challenge with Ayden.  One word for this battle...EXHAUSTING!  

It is amazing to see the personalities develop in my children.  Audrey amazes me with her ability to take charge of situations, but also is such an observer and very shy in public.  Then there is Ayden, he follows his sister on everything, even when she models inappropriate behavior, you can guarantee he will be attempting it three seconds after she is asked not to!  Ayden loves to try new things and has no issue falling on his face doing it.  Audrey is very detail oriented and really gets worked up over little things.  Whereas Ayden just loves to explore and has such a chill attitude.  Both children have both Tyler and I in them, I will allow for you to figure out what characteristics belong to each:).

One thing that I do know that I love so much about my kids is the fact that they care for each other.  They miss each other when the other is not around and they love to play together.  Yes we have our share of arguments and I know this is only the beginning, but it is amazing how kind they are to each other and the bond they share.  I am so glad that the kids will have each other and be able to stand up for one another.  I already know that Audrey will be in trouble at school for sticking up for her brother because I have seen how defensive she gets when people stare at him for his PWS.  She literally shouted after he came out of laser treatment to a family staring that we did not hurt him but he had a laser treatment and he was okay.  Yes I was embarrassed, but proud at the same time that she too wanted people to know that he was okay and even a two year old saw those questioning stares that they were shooting across the lobby at us.

There are days that Audrey does announce to me that Ayden is her best friend and I truly love to hear this, even though it is short lived.   I too feel that my brother and I are great friends.  Gosh the stories we still share with our parents appall them, but we had so much fun and created chaos so our childhood was never uneventful!  I want my kids to have the same relationship and bond my brother and I have, minus the bickering if that is possible, but we all know that that is inevitable.  So here is to my children making memories, creating chaos in our lives, crying and laughing together, sharing and supporting one another, and most of all loving one another!



No comments:

Post a Comment