Friday, January 17, 2014

Embracing Change

When one door closes, another is opened.

Today my post is in honor of a great man.  Someone who has taught me the importance of honesty, integrity, and family.  A man who help shape the individual I am today.  Today I celebrate my Dad!  Today is a day that needs a shout out because it is his last day as a Sergeant at the Sheriff's Department!  I am sure this day is bittersweet, but exciting as well.

Lets face it, my Dad embraces change just like I do.  I guess I learned from him that change is hard and it goes over well in our lives like turds in a punchbowl. But I think we both know that change is inevitable and everything happens for a reason.  I know that my father had a grand plan on working for another two years, but God had a different plan.

I have always remembered my Dad as a police officer.  I know when I was little, he worked multiple jobs, but he managed to turn his passion of police work into a reality.  My father worked at a manufacture shop for what I remember as a really little kid, and he also worked for the township as a police officer part time and he even was fire chief.  He put in 9 years and 10 months as a part time police officer before making it his full time career, and 27 1/2 years later he will work his last day at the Roscommon County Sheriff's Department.

Now there were times that I despised as a teenager having a father for a police officer, but at the same time there is a sense of pride and respect for those who serve and protect, as he would say.  I also hated having only one weekend a month to spend with my Dad.  When he worked a different shift each week, that was a hard thing to cope with as well.  I swear my brother and I had the hardest time being quiet when he worked that midnight shift.  I still to this day cannot be quiet with my brother int he same room.  (Imagine that!)  Lets face it being a kid of a cop really kinda stunk.  Your Dad found out about everything and where you were ALL the time, and he was not around for a lot of our school functions because he was working.  However the times we had as a family were even that more special and memorable.  

I can only imagine the emotions he is feeling with the uncertainty, however I bet you there is some excitement to have every weekend off!  Heck Dad, every night can be your Friday night and I am sure you will rub that in Mom's face until she retires next spring. However, I am here to help my Dad, like any daughter would.  If you get bored, as I am not sure when you will be starting your next job that you have had in the works for a couple years now, seriously this man cannot sit still, I have a few items to help keep you busy.   First on your list is the cottage on 113 Argus Court...have at it:)  Number two on your list is to take Audrey and Ayden to Cabella's to purchase fishing poles.  Audrey will be needing the pink princess fishing pole as that is what fish like and it is the fishing pole she talks about a lot!  I would pay money just to be a fly on the wall to see all the things the kids could convince you to purchase at that store:).  You will also need to take the kids fishing at the goose park.  This is a request from Audrey, however she realized that Walnut Creek was a good idea too.  She is definitely scoping out the fishing holes Papa, you would be proud.  However when you explain that she will have to stick the hook through the worm, she may come unglued as worms are our friends right now.  Ayden will just try to eat the worms, so have fun with that one.  I could certainly add to the list, but I will leave it right there.

Even though I know that my Dad is feeling very out of control with having to retire before he planned, I think he will truly enjoy his time off.  Being able to live life with the ones you love whenever you want is going to become a priority, and hopefully the issue with needing to constantly doing something will calm down.  So as you answer those last phone calls and file that last bit of paper work, I hope you enjoy your last day Dad.  However I hope that you enjoy your celebration after work more!  Have a few for the ones who cannot be with you to celebrate, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a dedicated Dad to provide for your family.  You made a lot of sacrifices for us and now it is your turn to enjoy your time off!  Love you bunches Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment