Thursday, March 6, 2014

Concept of Time

Lordy...have you ever tried to teach the concept of time to a toddler?  Lets be real...that shit is hard!  Audrey is trying hard to get the concept of time, but it is a challenge.  Currently I have used our calendar to mark special days down so she can refer to, but recently that concept has failed.  She gets so hyper focused and excited about something and just has to ask about it or say it is tomorrow, which then turns into me repeating myself 5,000 times.

Right now we have a birthday party to attend on Sunday.  Every morning she talks to me of when it is.  She sings through the days of the week and we talk about what the day is today and we do a count down until the party.  Tonight before she went to bed, she made a comment about how the party was tomorrow.  (Insert scream and head banging)  Seriously we just had this conversation and we need to do it again?!?  I feel the need to correct her because I don't want her to be disappointed, but maybe I should stop making myself crazy.  I totally get it is not her fault, but it sure can be tiresome, like every thing else in parenting.

I know that this is something Audrey will eventually understand, but what scares me is that probably about the time Audrey gets it I will begin this magical journey with Ayden.  This is the struggle I guess all parents go through when they have children close in age.  I do not regret this, but I really feel this way with all developmental milestones.  It is like we get through one milestone with Audrey and it seems like we are going through the same milestone with Ayden not soon after.

This soon will pass and I will miss it, but currently I am just trying to get through it....such is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment