Thursday, March 27, 2014

Speed Limit

Okay I would have never thought I would have an opinion on speed limits, but recently as I have children that are a little unpredictable and I have come to the conclusion that 25 mph is way too fast!  I sit in the yard watching folks talk on their cell phones and speed down our road.  This makes me feel real safe…said no mom EVER!  There is no way if a kid came darting into the road that you could stop that quickly to not hit them at 25 mph, but most definitely if you were distracted on your phone while at it.  This is where the craziness begins, my craziness that is.  I have in the past month on those sunny, warm days hollered at passing cars, including the mail man to slow down.

It wasn't until just recently I made the connection of how fast 25 mph really is.  We have a bunny that comes around to our yard and it literally provides great entertainment for both the kids and the cat.  Audrey calls the rabbit, her bunny, so when I saw that someone had smoked it just in from of our yard I got pretty upset.  Now I know that rabbits are pretty unpredictable, but so are kids, so when I saw that someone was either going the speed limit or faster and hit a rabbit, I thought, "Geesh, that could have been a kiddo!"

I know when I drive in our neighborhood I seriously go slow because I can see that there are kids playing basketball in their driveways and it doesn't take much for the ball to roll down the slanted driveway into the road.  Most kids think about darting after it, but what happens when the kid doesn't gauge the distance of a driving car or is hidden behind another parked car?  You would think a lot of people think this way, but unfortunately everyone is in such a hurry.  I have experienced that everyone pulls out in front of everyone else as it is a race to be first to the stop sign or out to the main road.  I have even folks on our street in particular that have small children drive way too fast.  What is it that you have to get home to?  If it is anything like my house, I can guarantee my husband, this past week, is not speeding home to get to the absolute chaos we bring after a long day at work.  So why the rush?

Regardless of the reason for the speeding, I still think they really need to rethink the signage that says, "Drive 25 and keep kids alive!"  It really needs to be much lower than that in my opinion, but then again I don't think I get a say.  However I will continue to be that crazy lady on my street giving the evil eye to or hollering at the folks driving too fast down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment