Friday, March 7, 2014

The Admiration of Strength

We've all had those days, you know the one where you just cannot wait until your husband gets home or that blissful quiet time of your kiddo's bedtime.  The kids are on your last nerve and they continue to do everything you don't want them to, and you swear that they are just doing it to piss you off.  It's normal to get frustrated and feel like you are having the worse day ever, but recently I read a story that just made me realize I was seriously being the biggest baby and needed to put my big girl panties on and be counting my blessings rather than bitching and feeling sorry for myself!

This story is about a woman I only wish I had half the strength that she has.  Although I never knew her personally, I do know the town she lives in so very well, Anderson, Alaska.  This quaint little town in rural Alaska made me realize the importance of community.  Seriously this is a town that was 35 miles away from a gas station and 75 miles away from major stores, so you get to know folks well and you learn to rely on each other.  I spent only four years in this town where I taught grades 4-6 and it honestly helped me be the person I am today.  I am sure you are thinking...sure whatever Lindsay, but in the elements and the way of living it truly made me appreciate things and respect nature in ways I never knew possible.

Okay now enough about me, this is a post about an inspirational women that will totally put things into perspective for us all.  Her name is Jolene, and don't worry I have her permission to write this.  When I first wrote Jolene, I was not even sure if she knew who I was because she had just moved back to Anderson while I was ending my stay.  We did however live across the street from each other, which doesn't really mean anything but that is how she made the connection of who I was:).

Jolene is a mother of two children, ages 10 and 3, and moved back to Anderson to take care of her father who was struggling with every day life routines due to a car accident.  Living in rural Alaska itself is a challenge, but when you have to care for a family member in addition to your own family, plus hit with the hardship and challenges life threw at her makes her an AMAZING woman.  2013 has been a trying year for Jolene, as in April she received a dreaded call after she had a lumpectomy and was told she had Stage 0 and a highly aggressive cell type cancer.  She went ahead with a double mastectomy, and only ten days later her father that she had so tenderly cared for passed away.  How she managed to continue to go on is beyond me, but I do know that you find the strength when you have kids involved.  She didn't have an option to give up.

In August Jolene began her first part of reconstruction of her chest that would allow for her to have implants to be placed at a later time.  It was about this time that her vehicle's engine decided to die, even though it was not even half way paid for!

As September approached, her birthday month, she had a head MRI due to nerve issues she was having on the left side of her face, and she was told she had a tumor on the underside of her brain.  Honestly, still not sure how she didn't have a complete and utter breakdown!  In October she went to Seattle for brain surgery, and she openly admits the fear of this surgery.  I don't blame her, this scares me just writing this story.  However the great news about this surgery is that the tumor was benign! 

After this last surgery, she returned to Alaska and continued with the expanding for the reconstruction, as this needed to be completed before she began her radiation treatments.  In December Jolene began radiation, but please remember she had to drive 80 miles one way to get her treatment and she was scheduled for one treatment a day Monday through Friday.
 
Now I know there are more details that have occurred, but this is just a small glimpse of Jolene's challenges in life this past year.  Talk about an inspiring and empowering woman!  When I wrote to Jolene, the selfless woman, who we can all learn from, stated that she prays that no woman ever has to know how strong they truly are.  Yes, as tears stream down my face, because you all know how lately I can cry on a dime, I have learned that strength is something that comes from within and we never know the strength we have until we need to find it to pick ourselves up off the floor.

God bless Jolene, her children, and those who have helped her along her journey!  Jolene, I hope that your one year cancer free anniversary in April is one of the best parties you have, as well as many celebrations of this victory for many years to come!

With all that Jolene has gone through, it is evident that none of this came cheap.  The every day struggles of finances in general, but then to add all the medical bills, car expenses, and whatever else life throws at you, things have become a struggle.  She states that her children have realized that they are low on money and that they do not ask for much and are okay with not getting it all.  This is one thing that is amazing to me too because it is so hard for children to understand this, but I do believe this children have seen the strength their mother possesses and have learned to be grateful just having their mother with them.

This is one post that I am going to ask all of you reading to share and help if you can.  I wouldn't write about something that I couldn't support, and I just admire Jolene's strength.  One important thing I think we all need to remember from this story is that we should never take anything in life for granted.  Life is precious and each moment we spend with family and friends is important.  So even when we are having one of those days, I challenge you to remember Jolene's story and to remember things can change in an instant!  Therefore, maybe that bad day we are having, really isn't that bad at all!

I am including the link that shares Jolene's story in greater detail, and if you have just a little to spare, I am sure she would appreciate any help as you will learn she has been handed a huge challenge in life. http://www.gofundme.com/6p0dcw

No comments:

Post a Comment