Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Oil Pulling

Okay so I have to say I love the convenience of going to the grocery store and buying the items I need.  Since having children, I have learned to clean a different way.  I have given up a lot of the harsh chemicals and I have used a lot of household items and even Norwex products to try and make sure my cleaning is safe. It would be fair that I am trying to go simple and natural.

By now you know I like to read, and sometimes it just gets me into trouble.  I have been reading a lot about natural remedies to things such as oily hair, but also natural ways to cure infections rather than turning to antibiotics.  If you didn't see it I share the link below, but there was an article circulating on Facebook about oil pulling.  I truly did not believe that it would work or if I should even try it, but I did ask a friend who is one who is very privy to coconut oil, and I decided to give it a try.

What is oil pulling?  It is something that has been around for centuries and it involves swishing coconut or sunflower oil in your mouth to absorb toxins.  Removing the toxins is to help with removing bacteria that may be causing infection and supposedly leads to a lot of great dental hygiene benefits, such as whiter teeth.  Some articles have even said that it helps with acne, sinuses, allergies, and the list goes on.  Now I was skeptical, but I figured it couldn't hurt as long as I didn't swallow the crap I swished around for 20 minutes.  

Well, you know me, I can never do anything normal, so I am going to share my experience in hopes that it enlightens you to the experience if you choose to attempt as well.  I read that you should swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. The only time I have 20 minutes of no talking time is when I shower so I was attempting to multi-task...sigh.  If you have ever purchased coconut oil, you know that it is in a solid form, but is easily broken down into liquid form with heat.  So I got about a teaspoon of the oil on a spoon, put it in my mouth, and set the timer on my phone for 20 minutes.  I wasn't quite sure what to do so I just tried swishing this gel like substance in my mouth.  I gagged and almost spit the stuff all over the floor.  My mouth began to over salivate, so I thought, but it was actually the oil breaking down into liquid form.  My eyes were watering, I was still gagging, and snot was dripping from my nose.  Totally worth it right?!?  I finally got myself together and realized that it would be best to just put the remaining oil under my tongue to get it to completely turn to liquid form.  Then the swishing began and it was not bad at all.  I took my shower and continued to oil pull.  While in the shower I struggled with breathing, washing my face, and swishing, but I managed.  You know the toughest part was when I flipped my head upside down and put the towel on my head, but I survived.  I completed the remainder of the oil pull, spit the toxins into a plastic bag because the oil can mess up your drain, and brushed my teeth.  So I guess I thought it was going to be an instant experience.  I envisioned white teeth and all my health problems solved.  Spoiler alert...it didn't happen:( 

This experience occurred about a week ago and I have pulled daily.  The results, I have whiter teeth and it actually alleviates that pain I have from grinding my teeth at night.  Also, I burnt my tongue and roof of my mouth on Sunday, and the coconut oil healed my mouth quickly.  It was crazy to think that it helped heal the burn, but the roof of my mouth had that nasty burn with the skin that hangs off, and it took one day of oil pulling to get that situation under control.  The tongue burn took a couple oil pulls to get the pain out.  I am sure there are reasons for all the help that coconut oil is doing to help with my mouth, but I am not going to research that because then I am going to try something else.

I am going to continue to oil pull and maybe it can aid in my health.  However I wanted my readers to know the truth of how it really works for the average Joe, such as myself because this is quite a challenge to complete.    

Here are a few articles on oil pulling that I have read.  However, just google oil pulling and you can find a lot more:)

http://jezebel.com/the-oil-pulling-health-craze-works-just-not-in-the-w-1538252677

http://www.fashionlush.com/wtf-is-oil-pulling-why-im-hooked/

No comments:

Post a Comment