Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vocabulary

It is amazing to me how quickly children develop a vocabulary.  Audrey picked up talking quickly and she obtained words for her vocabulary from everywhere!  Honestly she picked up phrases and words, regardless if they were good or bad, all the time!  The other day she told me to, "Zip it and put it in my pocket."  I almost came unglued, but once she said it she instantly knew it was not a good choice and went ahead and cried it out.

Ayden on the other hand chose to take walking and being a complete line backer a priority before really communicating.  Sure he signed the basics and gave us a limited vocabulary, but he was happier and more interested in running and attacking things than telling me about what he wanted or needed.  It was last week he decided to use his words and it continues to amaze me.  I can understand him and he is very forceful with his inflection and emotion in his speaking.  He really doesn't think before he speaks.  For example I asked him if he wanted a quesadilla for dinner and the first word he said with great force was no, but very quickly he processed what I said and followed his forceful no with a very exaggerated YESSSS!  Both Tyler and I laughed out loud because we can see the wheels just turn on him and how he really is becoming a little boy, rather than the helpless toddler he once was.

However I am afraid what this means with two talkers in my house.  Tyler and I can barely have a conversation at dinner as adults, and now I can see it never happening as both my children will be chatting it up and not allowing for us to get a word in edgewise.  Already the moment Tyler and I engross in a conversation at dinner and it may not interest Audrey, she gets Ayden wound up at the table and they begin screeching and having the most bizarre conversation.  It leads both of us to just sit in silence or the volume only increases.  Lucky us!

I remember my mom telling me that she wished for the day for me to begin talking and then when it happened she was a little overwhelmed.  Well I guess I get what my mom was saying because I have one kiddo that never stops talking from the moment she wakes up, and now I am afraid I may have two very soon this way.

I guess I can relate…I have a lot to say too.  Maybe the issue I have here is that I won't be able to be heard as much, but what I have learned as a parent is that sometimes it is better to just be seen than heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment