Monday, December 1, 2014

Kids and Chores

In the grand scheme of things I really thought my kiddos were too little for chores, but I was selling them short.  Even though some days it may have seemed like it took longer to get a small job done, I  learned that it was teaching more than a chore.  It was also teaching them a sense of responsibility and giving them a place to contribute to the household.

We struggle in our household with the concept of entitlement.  With doing chores I used the concept that they are doing certain chores that they hate to do as a bargaining tool.  If you do your job, then there is a reward.  Some days it is a tv show, a craft, or even going to the museum.  Mind you I do not do this with all the chores, just those difficult ones that they are a little less motivated to do, like clean up the huge mess of toys that they decided to create all morning long.  It may take them awhile, but they are proud of their success and the reward that comes with it.

I am thinking that we may start a chore chart soon, but I am trying to find the perfect template or one of those Melissa and Doug magnetic charts at the right price.  For now we do simple chores and get things done.  It takes a lot for me to not follow behind them to clean it better, but I am getting better at doing that.

I have shared below the age-appropriate chore list for kiddos, but I shared my list of what the kids do as well.  What I have learned from all this is that you can't sell your kiddos short.  If they show interest in wanting to help, find ways to get them involved because you will expend more energy trying to find them other things to do rather than just finding them that small involvement of what you are doing!

Evans Chore Chart:

*  Check cat's food and water every morning
*  Clear own dishes from table from each meal
*  Put socks and underwear away on laundry days
*  Make beds (basically picking up stuffed animals and blankets because it is hard to do for a two      year old)
*  Clean up toys after playing
*  Sweeping under the table
*  Swiffer the living room for cat hair
*  Wipe table down

No comments:

Post a Comment