Monday, December 15, 2014

A Not So Fun Saturday:(

I have always had the fear of my kiddos getting hurt.  I have truly run scenarios of "what ifs" through my head and it just scared me to think about how I would handle it or better yet, keep it from happening.  I was hoping we would avoid a trip to the ER all together with kids, but with the way Ayden runs around I was sure we would take that trip one day.

On Saturday, we were excited to spend time as a family.  We had decided we were going to go hang out at the shopping center and get a few last minute things for Christmas and go out to lunch.  It was warm and the kids were happy.  We had finished up our stops and we had decided to wait in the line for a complimentary carriage ride.  It was a long line, but I had snacks for the kids and we were going to do something fun.  The kids got antsy, but they were overall being well behaved.  We only had one family ahead of us and they decided since the line was shorter the carriage rides were going to be longer.  Double bonus, right...free and a worthwhile ride for the long wait?

It was going to be our turn next, and the kids were hopping around and doing a little running, but we are talking about Audrey here, so believe me it wasn't a full blown sprint.  Somehow Audrey tripped over Ayden and face planted it into the cement.  She had her hands in her pocket, so when Tyler scooped her up I could see that her face received some good road rash.  My heart broke for her, but I was a little frustrated with her because we had just said slow down before someone gets hurt.  However my frustration turned to fear real quick when I saw the blood, lots of blood from Audrey's mouth.

I took a closer look and realized the face plant resulted in pushing her front tooth back to the roof of her mouth.  My first instinct was to get her to the car and clean her up.  I told Tyler to open the car and after a few reminders of grabbing Ayden and opening the door, I got her into the car and began to see that we needed to get her to the hospital.  Thank goodness I am obsessed with wipes and it was not a cold day to have them frozen since they stay in my car.  I was literally cleaning blood off both of us and I could just see the fear and worry in her little tear swollen eyes.  It was killing me, and I felt like I did not know what to do.  I told Tyler to try the dentist, just by chance they would be open, but then knew our next stop was the ER.  Of course the pediatric dentist was closed, and we got into the ER immediately.  Seriously, if you ever have to go to the ER, 1:30 pm on a Saturday is a great time to go!

Everyone fell in love with Audrey, and of course her long drawn out explanation of how the entire scenario went down.  One guilt trip she did throw on me was she asked me why I didn't catch her when she fell?  I know, totally made me and the nurse tear up...we totally had our mommy moment together.  She did great allowing everyone to look at her and when we got the clear of no concussion or need for stitches I was a little relieved.  My only concern was the tooth that was all jacked up.  The doctor gave me a couple options, and I decided taking her to the emergency dentist was the best situation for Audrey at this point.  We get checked out, the doctor even called the dentist office for us, and we began our trip to the dental office.  Ayden decided he needed to nap, which made this entire situation a little easier, and we got Audrey into the dentist quick.  They took x-rays and determined her adult tooth wasn't damaged, and said the baby tooth was going to be a quick pull because it was just hanging there.  This is when things got real.

Audrey said she was hungry and just needed the tooth to come out, so the very young and hesitant dentist was ready to give it a shot.  I am not sure this guy ever worked on a child's mouth before as he just looked really nervous.  I wasn't concerned by this, but I wanted to explain to him that she was going to be fine and we just needed to get this done.  They gave Audrey some numbing gel and she lost her ever loving mind.  It tasted terrible and she let everyone in the office know.  I finally calmed her down and the dentist pulled it out quick.  So quick it went flying and got lost down in the bib thing they put on her.  And then there was more blood.  Seriously I do not do teeth well, and then I am there dealing with all this blood, and I just did not have time to get squirmy.  I had to be brave because I just told Audrey through this entire process she needed to be brave too.

It was done!  The entire start to finish catastrophe was only three hours, but boy I was whipped.  Audrey was hungry and I was willing to take her wherever she wanted to go.  The turkey wanted to go back to the shopping center, Shadow Lakes, and go to Buffalo Wild Wings like we had planned to do for lunch.  She ate like a champ, and asked for frozen yogurt, and of course she got it because every time Tyler and I looked at her we just got ill that she went through this trauma.  Audrey finished her frozen yogurt like a champ and wanted to go shopping.  Really child?  You just went through all this and you want to shop.   We went to Michaels and purchased our gingerbread house kit and finally went home.

We got her to bed and she slept soundly, and even had a visit from the tooth fairy, which by the way mom was not ready for!  She had stated she hoped the tooth fairy left her twenty bucks, however as much as I wanted the tooth fairy to leave twenty bucks, that is setting the bar pretty high.  After Audrey was sound asleep, Tyler and I finally began to breathe again and our guilt and worry set in.  How could we have prevented this?  Were we not watching the kids well enough and that is why this happened?  What could we do to not have anything like this happen again?  Seriously the list went on and still goes on.  However, I believe in receiving signs or messages, and  I stumbled across this scripture that can give me some peace about the worry that has consumed me the past couple evenings.

 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]? ~Matthew 6:25-27 (NIV)

Now this doesn't mean I am not going to worry, but I need to remember that we cannot keep our kids safe from every accident.  Accidents do happen and we just need to keep ourselves prepared on how to handle those situations.  


Showing off the battle wounds.

You can't be sad with frozen yogurt in the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment