Monday, December 22, 2014

Holding My Breath

I have to be honest with you all.  Whenever my children go up to the front of the church for children's time, I always hold my breath.  Half the time I miss what is going on because I am little saying a prayer that they don't do something crazy and I am also light headed from not breathing.

Why do I hold my breath you ask?  I do this because I never know what is going to come out of my children.  My kids have never been shy when it comes to talking about things at the front of the church.  I think Audrey won a lot of hearts the first couple of weeks we began going to our little church when she described the major crisis of the lost Jasmine and how her Daddy rescued her from underneath the couch.  Sure that story is cute, but I am afraid the crazy stories are going to come out. You know, the stories that would probably get us that extra eyebrow raise and we may be questioned on what we are doing raising kids.

Fortunately, we have steered clear of the embarrassing stories so far, although I am sure a few are coming.  However I had a proud moment last Sunday, and I was actually able to breathe.  The question was that of what Christmas was all about, and I thought for sure Ayden was going to yell "Ho, Ho" and Audrey's response was going to be presents.  To my surprise Audrey beat the older boy and told Ms. Cathy that Christmas was about Jesus.  I was able to smile and think...yeah she is understanding some of the things being taught to her.

Overall, I think what I learned from this experience was I truly need to stop holding my breath to see if my kids are going to make the right choices or say the right things.  More than likely they will, but there will also be times that they won't and I need to use that as a teaching opportunity.  Therefore, maybe this needs to be a New Year's Resolution for me.  I need to stop holding my breath and just breathe and live for the moments because I bet I am missing out on a lot of little things because I am so focused on what I hope they will say or do.

No comments:

Post a Comment