Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Date Night

I am so excited to share that Tyler and I had our first date night since Ayden was born last Saturday.  Yes my friends it has been two and a half years since we actually did something that was just us the two of us.

It was fantastic to have dinner and actually have a conversation that did not involve the words, "Get up off the floor" or "Stop licking that!"  Ahh...the joys of having small children.  :)

I knew we would get to this stage in our lives at some point, but it was literally a blessing when a high schooler at church sought me out to verify with me that she babysits.  My kids love her to begin with and she is seeking us out to watch my kids even after she sees their shenanigans, I knew I had to scoop this gal up!

The old Lindsay would have made a list and given the poor gal a huge list of my expectations, but seriously she got to the house and I showed her where stuff was and we literally bolted out the door.  In fact Audrey even shooed us out the door too, so I felt very confident that things would be just fine. Even my third leg, aka Ayden, did not even bat an eye with us leaving.  Honestly, a total blessing.

Tyler and I just went to dinner, but it was amazing how "just going to dinner" made me feel like an adult.  I actually am starting to wonder why we waited this long.  However I know why, it just wasn't the right season in our life for that.

What I do know though is after battling a long, busy week, it was exactly what Tyler and I needed.  I really have been thinking about how important it was that we started doing date nights because in all reality the kids won't need us to this extreme forever and we will have to get back into a routine of remembering what it is to be normal adults.  Also, we will be growing old together and we really need to continue to do things that keep us close and liking one another, otherwise it is going to suck  once the kids are older!  (Sorry Tyler, just had to state the obvious.)

Regardless of everything I think that everyone with children and about to have kiddos need to remember that taking time for your significant other is an important part of your relationship.  I know from experience that it is so easy to just get into the routine of taking care of the kids and going through the motions, however it doesn't have to always be this way.  Taking a little time for mom and dad is okay too.

I encourage you to find that sitter, take time to be with your significant other, and be adults because it's nice to remember what it is like, even if it is for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment