Thursday, December 11, 2014

Car Seats

Ugh...car seats!  That is all I have to say right now because they are just a part of my life, and will continue to be for a very long time.  Here is my beef though, why is it that car seat laws very from state to state?  Lets look at this in the grand scheme of things, I think we could all agree that regardless of the state we live in we all want our kids to be safe.  Car seats are not made for a specific state, but sold nationally, so explain to me why we have to have differently regulations for each state?

I guess what it breaks down to is that it is just annoying that there is not a standard that goes across the board for the nation.  I will use the requirements on the car seat for my expectations and then use the state level laws as a guide.  This probably raised an eyebrow or two, but lets face it the car seat is more strict in my mind than some state's laws.  Take a look at Car Seat Laws and you will see how it varies state to state.  It is the age range that gets me confused.

In all reality I really wasn't aware that each state varied.  I also did not realize that my daughter probably could move to a booster seat at her current age, however I just assumed she wouldn't because she still is far away from meeting that height and weight requirement on her current five point harness car seat.  Actually I would love for her to get into a booster because buckling her in would be so much easier, but it is not as safe as the seat she has now.  It wasn't until I recently saw new car seat rules  they wanted to update in Michigan that are in compliance with pediatrician recommendations.   The rules they want are as follows:

(A) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT MORE THAN 30 POUNDS OR IS LESS

THAN 2 YEARS OF AGE, IN A REAR-FACING CHILD SEAT.

     (B) IF THE CHILD WEIGHS NOT LESS THAN 30 POUNDS BUT LESS THAN

50 POUNDS, OR IS 2 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 5 YEARS OF

AGE, IN A FORWARD-FACING CHILD SEAT.

     (C) IF THE CHILD IS NOT MORE THAN 57 INCHES TALL AND WEIGHS 50

POUNDS OR MORE, OR IS 5 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER BUT LESS THAN 10

YEARS OF AGE, IN A BOOSTER SEAT.


Nebraska's car seat laws are as follows:

  • In the State of Nebraska all children under the age of six (6) must be secured in a federally approved child safety seat.
  • Children six (6) up to eighteen (18) years of age must be restrained in a safety belt or child safety seat.
  • Children up to eighteen (18) years of age are prohibited from riding in cargo areas.
  • Childcare providers in the State of Nebraska must transport all children in an appropriate safety seat or safety belt.

Confusing huh?  This is the safety of our children and look how vague and loosey goosey the car seat laws are.  Now I am not pointing fingers and say one state is better than the other, what my point is, is that we all should be on the same page as to what is safe for our kids.  There was a statement in the new car seat laws for Michigan that stated that a rear facing seat is safer than a forward five point harness, the five point harness was safer than the booster, and the booster was safer than just a seatbelt.  This is obvious, but shouldn't we put a law in place that is consistent across the board?

Now I know in all reality not every one would follow the new laws, and it is their choice, however I am a person who loves things to be easy and cut and dry.  I want the law to be specific and to the point, but then again I wish a lot of things were easy.

For now I will keep my littles in their five point harness car seats and will keep them that way until they go to elementary school.  Even then I am hesitant to make that change, but I guess I will cross that bridge next August.


No comments:

Post a Comment