Friday, February 20, 2015

Mess, Mess Everywhere!

Yesterday I was at my wits end with cleaning up after my two little humans!  I mean how much mess can two kids make...if you saw my house you would be impressed.  It was at that point after lunch I decided I was done nagging at my kids to clean up and I was done cleaning up after them.  Sigh...my poor "B" team was going to be walking into a pig sty, but I was ready to teach the kids a lesson.  The lesson that things don't miraculously clean themselves and that it is important to pick up what you were playing with before getting the next thing out.  Now my OCD was going to suffer immensely by this, but really these kids needed to start taking responsibility for the messes they were creating.

I created a few stipulations for myself and the kids.  I was only going to clean up the messes I created and I would tell my children that they needed to make sure they were doing their jobs to clean up after themselves.  I would allow for them to have access to the paper towels, the broom, and full reign of getting any and all toys out, but they needed to realize that neither Tyler or I were going to clean up after them.  This even included taking their dishes to the sink because Ayden is notorious for leaving his yogurt and spoon on the table all morning long...ugh!

Now I know my kiddos are little, but they are not too little to understand that mom and dad are not their personal maids.  This challenge is going to be a work in progress and I apologize for anyone that is coming over.  I will clean my house of the filth, but I am not picking up the toys or their dishes, so be prepared for that sight.  I am hoping that it will only take a day for certain things to catch on.  I know Audrey will notice, but we will have to see how long it takes Mr. Ayden.

I do believe this strategy will work for during the day, however at night I may not be able to handle the house being completely trashed.  I feel there needs to be some sort of consequence though and that is when I remembered seeing a really cool concept of the kids earning their toys back from a tub that had been cleaned up by completing a chore.  With that all being said I think I will eventually get to making my "Uh-Oh" tub and hold the kids a little more responsible.  I really need to work on this not going to extremes when I have had it, but it is so hard not to when this is what my life consists of.

Here is to a successful "Uh-Oh" tub, responsible children, and momma's patience!


No comments:

Post a Comment