Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Great Toilet Catastrophe

I already had planned what I was going to write about once I got the kiddos in bed, but it seems whenever I have an idea, it gets changed quickly.  Seriously I had pictures and everything to back up my post about puzzles, and then we had the great toilet catastrophe!  Now I know that this story could be so much more worse, but it was the last thing I wanted to deal with right before bed time.

It all begins as I was folding laundry and the kids were picking up a few things that I asked them to before we started our brushing teeth and story time.  Audrey decided to go into our bathroom and she found a toilet paper roll.  She was trumpeting through it, like most kids do, and then she went to show it off in front of Ayden.  She informed him that she would give him the next one she found.  This is when I should have just stopped folding laundry because I may have been able to stop the entire catastrophe if I didn't fold that last pair of socks.  It was then that I heard the toilet flush and the comment from Audrey, "Yeah!  Now we have two rolls!"  Now I knew the toilet paper was low in the kids bathroom, but not that low.  I asked Audrey to come grab something from me and I heard the toilet flush again.  Ugh...what was Ayden doing in the bathroom?  I know he loves flushing, but when Audrey went that way and then announced there was an emergency, I already knew what happened.  Sure enough, Audrey went to the bathroom and unrolled all that toilet paper and used it on her last potty trip and it was plugged.  Before I could say anything Audrey was up to her elbows in toilet water attempting to remove the clog.

Mind you I am getting text messages from my hubby at this point asking if we can FaceTime before the kids go to bed.  My quick response was, "Sure, once the darn toilet is unplugged!"  Washing Audrey's hands and arms, and then getting teeth brushed was the next steps on the agenda.  That was completed and I just told them to sit on the bed.  Then I dialed up their Daddy and let them FaceTime away.  I got the toilet unplugged and cleaned it while I was at it because it needed it anyway.

We survived this minor hiccup for the evening and as I reflected I realized it could have been worse.  I mean lets face it, I did not need a mop, there were no items floating on the floor, and there were no objects wedged in toilet but the paper.  I do believe this was Audrey's attempt to keep things equal in the house two so there would be no fighting with the toilet paper rolls.  If only she would have asked me if I had more...because I did!  With that I can breathe a sigh of relief and be grateful that this catastrophe was only minor, however that was not how I envisioned my evening ending with my kids on a Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment