Thursday, February 5, 2015

Snow Day Blues

When school was canceled yesterday I truly thought Audrey was going to lose her mind.  She was absolutely distraught that she was going to miss another day.  I guess this is a good problem to see with her wanting to go to school because it may change as she gets older.  Ayden was sad that the MOPS meeting was canceled because he was going to miss his friends.  Seriously did not know he was into friends, but good sign here that he likes people because I was beginning to fear that he was going to be my antisocial kiddo.

Okay now that you know how everyone was feeling, well at least the kids.  I had that feeling that the walls were closing in on me and we needed to make sure it was a good day.  Audrey loves schedules, so I figured I would plan our day and write it all down so we could stay on track.  This gave her some control too because she would go to the schedule I put on the fridge and would ask, "Okay Mom, what's next?"  Our morning went well, except for the free play.  I am not sure why my kids struggle with free play when I am watching them.  It is like they are putting on a show of lets pretend to play and then begin the kid's version of WWIII.

The kids were happy and we were all getting along.  I even managed to play six games of Chutes and Ladders, even after they changed the rules 80 million times, without losing my mind.  We worked on some letters, printing, and opposites.  A couple Valentine crafts were completed, and I even let the kiddos water color paint.  We had lunch and I even convinced the kids that quiet time was a great idea while I folded the two loads of laundry that was on the to do list.  Multiple stories were read, and I even surprised them with snow ice cream.  In which Audrey has informed us that snow ice cream is better with chocolate syrup because everything is better with chocolate.  Ahhh....a girl after my own heart!  I decided a little movie action may help buy me some time to get a couple projects done.  Everyone was happy with that decision.  We ended our day with a trip outdoors as the kids were determined to build a snowman and I needed to get after the drifted snow in the driveway.  The snowman was attempted as I was ready to go in, and they decided they wanted their snowman to be flat.  They had a couple carrot noses and some almonds for eyes and their mouths, but after they built the snowman faces they decide to eat them.

While I was attempting to make dinner and they kids were playing around with some expo markers and notebooks, Audrey informed me today was the best day ever and I was a good mom.  Thank you Audrey, I think?  I guess when our day is jam packed with activities and fun I am a good mom, but when I make them do things on their own I am just mediocre.  Well I have said it before and I will say it again, I am okay with being okay, so bring on a few mediocre days:)

Just enjoying some snow ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment