Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Quality verse Quantity

Boy can I tell that it is that time of the year.  I remember the winter blues hitting me more in March, but this year they have hit me in full force.  I think there are quite a few factors hitting me at this point, but I can just feel myself falling into a funk and it is the silly things that are getting to me.

Lately I am finding myself scrolling through Facebook and seeing everyone having a good time. Here is my first issue, stop looking at social media Lindsay.  However even though I am seeing folks have a good time, it is making me sad.  Sad because I was not invited to those events.  Really?  I need to get a grip on this sadness because a month ago that would not have bothered me, but I really believe that with the weather and still attempting to find our routine again has really amplified my emotions.

After I had discussed my funky feelings yesterday with some wise folks, I have awoken with a new look on things.  This may be due to the fresh snow that is coming down hard that has changed the perspective of the world outside, but regardless of the reasons I am feeling better.  It has gotten me to think about friendships though.  I love how during different seasons of our lives, God allows folks to walk into our lives and give us the friendships we need for that time.  What is even better is when those folks are lifelong friends.  You know what I am talking about, those besties you have that you can literally not talk to for years, but once you see them again pick up right where you left off like no time ever passed!  I am so lucky to have a handful of these gals in my life because there are some folks who never experience this type of friendship.

As we adjust to the nonmilitary lifestyle, I have found myself understanding the concept of quality of friendship very quantity.  I have always had the philosophy of surrounding myself with many friends.  I mean the more the merrier and if you ever return back to the previous stationed place, you will have a built in support system...bonus right?!  Yet now I need to realize this is not my life any more.  I need to take the time to focus on the friendships I have now and work on those, verse trying to add more to my circle.  Ugh...now that I typed that means I really should follow through on that one, and lets face it trying to change something you have done for years is hard.

There it is, I am going to work on my authenticity in my friendships.  I will add more to my circle of friends willingly, but I will not be pursuing it as hard as I sometimes feel I have in the past.  I am going to embrace what I have been given and continue to be grateful for my quality of friendships and stop focusing on the quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment