Monday, February 23, 2015

RSVPs

It is crazy how in the technology world that we live in now, how hard it is for folks to RSVP.  It is almost as if this concept has gone out the window.  Now I have to admit that I just RSVPed for an event that is tomorrow for a bowling event through our MOPS group, yet I feel I have to write about this topic even if I am at fault as well.  Here is my excuse with why I did not respond to this RSVP, I have a kiddo with a broken wrist, so I was hesitant to completely say no, but wasn't sure if I should say yes either.  Yet I still cannot use that as an excuse because guess what there was a maybe button to press.  I opened the email a couple weeks ago, didn't take the time to RSVP and forgot about it until the last minute.  Shame on me!    And this is where my issue begins...

People plan activities such as get togethers, play dates, or birthday parties and it is normally important to have the RSVPs so folks know how many to prepare for.  No one wants to look like they are unprepared and not have enough of something.  But why is it that society is having this issue all of a sudden?  I remember as a kid if I received a birthday party invitation you better believe I made sure to call or have my parents call so that I could go.  You just didn't show up to a party without RSVPing, but today it is has become acceptable to RSVP at the last minute or better yet show up without RSVPing.  

Or here is another issue I have seen:  email.  People send out emails and invite people to things and then you get nothing.  Like no response.  No sorry it won't work or thanks but no thanks.  It is almost as if the email was never received and so you send out another one to get the same lack of response.  Why do you think this is?  I mean we have actually become a society where we could respond to folks without even speaking on a telephone, and we cannot even do that to acknowledge situations.  

Is it that we are using technology to do the invites, etc, or is it simply because we are overwhelmed with activities?  Or is it that we are just becoming lazy at responding?  I truly do not know what the answer to this is, and would love for you to share some ideas as to why this may have gone to the wayside as being important.  And maybe it is just me that thinks it is ludicrous that people no longer take the time to respond to others invites, and if that is the case sorry I wasted your time on this read.

1 comment: